How to Petition to Graduate
Petitioning to graduate is now an easy online process that can be done from anywhere that you have internet access. Just log in to your MySSU account and select your student tab at the top. Once you are on your student page, click on the SSU Graduation link on the left side of that page to start your graduation process.
Use this form to petition to graduate for the term in which you will be completing your degree requirements. A separate petition must be submitted for each degree or certificate. Upon submission, a $45 charge will be added to your student account for a first-time degree petition. If you petition for multiple degrees in the same session and year, you will only be charged the $45 one time. There is no charge if you petition for a certificate, or for a re-petition of a degree that you previously petitioned for but did not complete.
If you have any problems, questions, or do not have access to your MySSU account, please call 740-351-4734, Option 3 for help.
Deadlines to Petition to Graduate
Graduation Petitions should be submitted by:
- Summer Graduates : Last day of spring semester
- Fall Graduates : Last day of summer semester
- Spring Graduates : Last day of fall semester
There are several problems that can arise if
you petition to graduate after the deadline:
- You may be missing a class and have to attend an additional semester to complete it
- Your name may not be included in the commencement program
- You may not be able to obtain the proper regalia (cap and gown) preventing you from participating in the graduation ceremony
Please review the following checklist of pre-graduation questions that may prevent you from receiving your degree or delay the processing of your diploma upon completion of your degree.
- Have you or will you be completing your final degree requirements/courses?
If you're not sure you should meet with your academic advisor or department chairperson to review and determine where you are with regards to completing your degree.
- Do you need to have course substitutions/waivers submitted to complete degree requirements?
If so, you should meet with your academic advisor or department chairperson to get those completed.
- Do you have any holds on your account (Bursar, Library, Financial Aid, Dean of Students, etc...) that will delay the processing of your diploma upon completion of your degree?
If so, please work with those offices to satisfy your obligations so your hold(s) will be removed.
What Happens After You Petition
- Once we have processed and accepted your graduation petition, you will receive an email to your important notifications inside MySSU, as well as to your SSU email address. Please verify that your information is correct. If you need to make updates or corrections to your petition, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 740-351-3743, Option 3.
- Your degree audit will be reviewed by the Office of the Registrar staff and your academic department during the first week of the term. After these reviews, you will receive a letter detailing the results of the review, and of any outstanding requirements/courses, if any, that may not be completed by the end of the term.
- You will receive letters, important notifications via your MySSU account, and emails to your SSU email account regarding graduation activities, such as Count Down to Commencement day, cap and gown ordering, and graduation rehearsal and ceremony.
365体育投注网You will need to check MySSU account to see if there have been any holds placed on your record. These holds may be for any number of reasons, some of which are parking tickets, library fines, monies owed the university,etc. These holds need to be cleared by graduation time.
365体育投注网You will need to make sure you have any necessary course substitution or waivers submitted by your advisor/department chairperson. These course substitutions/waivers, if required, should be submitted as soon as possible to avoid delays in the awarding of your degree.
Taking a Class at Another University During
Your Final Semester or Studying Abroad
365体育投注网If you are taking a class at another university during your final semester or studying abroad, you need to have your official final transcript(s) sent to Shawnee State as soon as possible. If we do not have your final transcript from the other university, we cannot award your degree.
Final Grades and Final Degree Certification
365体育投注网Final grades are due to the Registrar's Office by noon on the Tuesday following the last day of finals. Following the final grade submission deadline, the Office of the Registrar begins reviewing and approving degrees by adding degree statements to your transcript and printing/mailing diplomas. This process can take 4-6 weeks. Calling the Registrar's office during this time can cause delays in processing.
Why is my major/concentration/minor
not on my diploma?
365体育投注网The reason that Shawnee State University does not list your major and/or concentration on your diploma is because Universities are accredited to award Bachelor’s degrees (B.A. or B.S.) only. That is as far as the regional accreditation body's concern goes. In traditional liberal arts disciplines like history, biology, psychology, etc., the content of the area of study within that degree is entirely up to the individual college. There is usually no separate accreditation for specific subjects unless they are professional subjects that are regulated by the government and are bound by law to meet additional requirements above and beyond what the regional accrediting agency requires (for example, nursing programs answer to ACEN and teacher education to NCATE). In that case, the degree will be a named degree signifying that it meets the standards imposed by the special professional accreditation body in addition to the ones imposed by the regional accreditation body.
365体育投注网When you major in Biology at SSU, you do not have a Bachelor of Science in Biology. You have a Bachelor of Science with a major in Biology. Your diploma will say Bachelor of Science from The College of Arts and Sciences, because that is the degree that we have the authority to confer. Your major is not part of your degree title and is not included. There is no such thing as a Bachelor of Science in Biology degree at SSU.
365体育投注网Contrast this with a B.S.N. When a nurse earns his/her B.S.N. from SSU, the diploma will say "Bachelor of Science in Nursing." This signifies the extra level of accreditation. This is not the equivalent of putting a major on a diploma. The nurse does not have a Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing in the same way that a biologist has a Bachelor of Science with a major in Biology. Rather, the nurse actually has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. That is the formal name of the degree.
Your major, concentration, and minor are denoted on your official SSU transcript.
365体育投注网Honors for the graduation program are based on your cumulative GPA the semester before you graduate and entitle you to wear an Honor Cord at graduation.
365体育投注网Official Honors denoted on your transcript and/or your diploma are based on your final cumulative GPA at the time of graduation.
Honors are determined as follows:
Cum Laude: 3.50-3.74 Cumulative GPA
Magna Cum Laude: 3.75-3.89 GPA
Summa Cum Laude: 3.90-4.0 Cumulative GPA
Details about the graduation ceremony can be found at bondtechglue.com/commencement/