Add or Drop a Class
Adding a Class
You may add a class to your schedule during the first 7 calendar days of the semester (3 days of a summer session) by completing a registration form in the Student Business Center or registering online via .
Dropping a Class
You may withdraw from a class through the 7th calendar day of the semester by completing the proper form in the Office of the Registrar or by dropping the course via the website. During the first 7 calendar days, if class withdrawal affects fees, a refund is possible. Any withdrawal after the 7th calendar day results in a WD being placed on your academic record. Withdrawing from courses may affect Title IV student financial aid funds. Please read the Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress section on pages 35 and 36 of our catalog.
You may withdraw from a class through Wednesday of the tenth week of the semester by obtaining the signature of the instructor on a form obtained from the Office of the Registrar.
365体育投注网In case of emergency, as determined by the college dean, you may withdraw from a class after the above deadline, but no later than 4:30 p.m. on the final day of class, by obtaining permission from the college dean and completing appropriate forms. Faculty members are notified by the college dean of these emergency withdrawals.
Change of Address
Students who change their address during the semester should immediately report that change to the Student Business Center, University Center 2nd Floor. Students can no longer change a permanent address via the MySSU website. You must complete the following form:
Change of Legal Name
Change of legal name via marriage or other legal action, should be reported to the Student Business Center. You must complete the the following form and provide proper documentation:
A preferred name (first and middle only) may be changed in the Student Business Center without documentation by completing the following form:
Students desiring to change academic majors are directed to complete a . Once the form is completed and submitted, a staff member of the Student Business Center will change the major in the student's record, then the Office of the Registrar notifies both the old and new academic departments. The students name will appear on the departments advisor assignment list. The new department assigns an advisor and notifies the student.
365体育投注网Note: Students in Pre-Health Science admitted to a Health Science major do NOT complete a change of major form.
Course Credit by Arrangement
365体育投注网Students have the opportunity to fulfill requirements for selected courses offered at Shawnee State University via independent study or specially arranged instruction. If you are interested in pursuing this educational option, you should first secure the advice of your faculty advisor as to its appropriateness for your program of study.
The Course Credit by Arrangement forms are used to add credit by arrangement courses. There are three different forms, based upon student status:
Complete all the information and secure all the required signatures prior to submitting the form to the Student Business Center for processing. You may earn up to 12 credit hours toward graduation in this manner, with all credit being considered resident credit, but you are limited to 6 hours of credit by arrangement per semester as verified by the Office of the Registrar.
Once credit eligibility is verified, you must obtain the appropriate signatures of approval from the Instructor, Department Chairperson, and Dean of the College. Students enrolling in a course by arrangement have until the end of the semester to have all work completed in the course.
Credit hours attempted/earned via this option count toward full-time student status for the computation of federal financial aid eligibility. See the fee schedule for course by arrangement fees.
The Degree Audit is an academic advising tool. It is an automated list of all courses in a student's program of study that are needed to meet the graduation requirements at Shawnee State University. The Audit allows advisors to see how the students are progressing.
To request a degree audit, contact your faculty advisor.
The Degree Audit includes courses taken at SSU and may include courses transferred from other universities. Although courses taken at SSU are automatically added to a student's Degree Audit, transfer courses must undergo an evaluation process and then be applied to the student's Audit. Transfer evaluations are done in the Office of the Registrar, University Center 2nd Floor. For more information please call (740) 351-4734.
Submit the following form to the Student Business Center to request a replacement diploma. All financial obligations to the university must be cleared before a replacement diploma will be released.
Admission or registration may be canceled by the Director of Admission or the Registrar in cases of improper registration or when false or incomplete information is provided on the application for admission forms, or other official documents. In such cases, you will be notified in writing as to the action that was taken and the reasons for such action.
Incomplete Grade Application
365体育投注网An Incomplete “I” is a temporary grade which may be given at the instructor’s discretion to a student when illness, necessary absence, or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevent completion of course requirements by the end of the academic term.
365体育投注网To request an incomplete grade, fill out the following form and return it along with the documentation it requests to the Student Business Center
Incomplete grades may be given only in the following circumstances:
- The student's work to date is passing;
- Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60% of the term;
- An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date;
- Required work may reasonably be completed in an agreed-upon time frame;
- The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade;
- The incomplete is not based solely on a student's failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time;
- The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term;
- The instructor and student complete and submit the "Application for Incomplete Grade" form before the end of the academic term to the Office of the Registrar.
Appropriate grades must be assigned in other circumstances. A failing grade and last date of attendance should be recorded for students who cease attending class without authorization. Students who are unable to complete a course and who do not meet these circumstances should consider dropping the course.
The following provisions for incomplete grades apply:
- The must completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the current academic term.
- The instructor submits the final grade on the "Grade Change" form obtained in the Office of the Registrar.
- The course work may be completed while the student is not enrolled.
- Incomplete grades may appear on the transcript for one academic term. Incomplete grades do not affect the grade point average. Incomplete grades will change to an "F" and affect your GPA if not completed by the agreed upon completion date or the end of the next semester.
- An Incomplete grade may not be considered passing for purposes of determining academic standing, federal financial aid eligibility, athletic eligibility, or other purposes.
- An Incomplete should not be assigned when it is necessary for the student to attend additional class meetings to complete the course requirements.
- Incomplete grades cannot be entered via the MySSU grade entry process and can only be assigned via the "Application for Incomplete Grade."
Late Add Form
365体育投注网This form is used to add a course after the add deadline. Complete all the information and secure all the required signatures prior to submitting the form to the Student Business Center. An additional registration appeal form may be required if adding a course after the second week.
You may elect to take a course for non-credit (audit) during the first 35 class days of a semester. (17 days of the 5-week summer sessions) by completing the proper forms in the Student Business Center. Election of this option may affect federal financial aid eligibility.
365体育投注网The pass/non-credit option is designed to permit you to take a select number of courses for which no traditional letter grade (of "A" through "F") is recorded on your grade report and transcript.
If you wish to take a course on a pass/non-credit basis, complete the application below. The deadline for applying for pass/no-credit has been extended to April 24 for the Spring 2020 semester due to the transition to remote instruction. During normal operations, this application must be completed within the first 14 calendar days of a regular semester or the first 7 calendar days of a 5-week term.
365体育投注网Your decision to take a class on a pass/no-credit basis is not subject to change. To be eligible for the pass/non-credit option, you must have earned a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or better. First semester freshmen are considered as having met the above requirement.
The pass/non-credit option is subject to the following restrictions:
- You may complete up to 6 semester hours to be counted toward an associate degree or 12 semester hours to be counted toward a baccalaureate degree under this option.
- You may take only one (1) course pass/non-credit per semester.
- Applicability of courses taken pass/non-credit toward your major program of study is subject to departmental approval.
- To receive a grade of "P" (pass), you must earn a grade of "C-" or better in the course. If you do not receive a grade of "C-" or better, a grade of NC (no credit) is awarded.
- A grade will be turned in at the regular grade-processing time and will be converted to a "P" or NC on the transcript by the Office of the Registrar.
Courses may be repeated for credit if so identified in the course description located in this catalog. Courses may also be repeated for other purposes (e.g., attempt to raise grade), but only the highest grade earned and the associated credit will be reflected in your GPA (grade point average). The lower course grade will be replaced by the symbol "R", indicating the course was repeated.
While most courses are eligible for repetition, the following transcript symbols cannot be removed by subsequent course repetition: WD, AP, P, KE, NC, AU, TC, TP (please see Grading/Awarding of Credit section.)
Senior Citizens Option for Non-Credit Courses
365体育投注网Shawnee State University admits senior citizens (60 years of age or older on or before the first date of the term) for courses on an audit (non-credit), space-available basis. The student is required to secure the permission of the instructor if there are prerequisites for the course.
Return this form to the Student Business Center:
U.S. Selective Service Registration
Ohio law requires male students between the ages of 18 and 25365体育投注网 to be registered with the Selective Service System, unless they are on active duty with the armed forces of the United States (other than the National Guard or reserves) or legally excluded, to be eligible for state educational assistance programs.
Residents who are not registered, or have not indicated they do not need to register, by the first day of the semester are required by Ohio law to pay the out-of-state tuition and will be ineligible for various State of Ohio Financial Aid programs (Section 3345.32 of the Ohio Revised Code).
You can register with Selective Service in the year you become 18. Registration will be available 30 days prior to your actual birthdate. Keep in mind, you must complete registration by 30 days after your 18th birthday. Selective Service registration can be accomplished in a few minutes at any strong>U. S. Post Office, by phoning 1-847-688-6888, or at . If you wish to indicate exempt status, you can request materials to do so by contacting the Student Business Center.