Academic Support and Disability Services
365体育投注网The Office of Academic Support and Disability Services (O.A.S.D.S.) was established in 2003 to help maximize the academic success and persistence to graduation of all students. The office provides focused services for students with disabilities and students typically underrepresented in higher education.
About the Office
Services for Students with Disabilities
365体育投注网The Juilliard School is committed to providing qualified students who have disabilities an opportunity to participate on an equal basis in Juilliard’s educational programs. The Office of Academic Support and Disability Services (O.A.S.D.S.) is the focal point for meeting the needs of students with disabilities. We look forward to welcoming you to Juilliard, learning about your circumstances, and providing assistance with your bondtechglue.comcation.
365体育投注网A student with a qualifying disability who seeks services from Juilliard must start that process with O.A.S.D.S. For accommodations to be granted, a student has to provide any necessary information and documentation to O.A.S.D.S for review and meet with a member of O.A.S.D.S. to complete the interactive process, which is essential for identifying accommodations that are responsive to the individual student’s needs. Once the registration, documentation, and review process is completed, O.A.S.D.S. will provide the student, where appropriate, with an individually determined accommodation plan and, where necessary, will communicate with faculty about the accommodations to be granted to a student. A student may not make individual accommodation arrangements with a faculty member without first utilizing the O.A.S.D.S. process. Please note that each semester, some adjustments to accommodations may be called for, and students will need to work with O.A.S.D.S. to review accommodations. A student with a disability who does not seek accommodations from Juilliard may inform O.A.S.D.S. of their situation, but is not required to do so. O.A.S.D.S. staff members are always available to meet, answer questions or provide guidance.
Details of Juilliard’s specific procedures and requirements are available from O.A.S.D.S. Forms that need to be completed and information about your rights and responsibilities are also provided by O.A.S.D.S. From time to time, Juilliard may change or modify these policies, procedures, and forms, and you should make an effort to stay current on any changes. However, Juilliard’s commitment to its students and to their opportunity to participate equally at Juilliard remains constant.
To begin the process for receiving services from Juilliard, a student will submit the completed Juilliard Disability Identification Form and the Release of Disability Information, and meet with an O.A.S.D.S. representative. The student should also review the Confidentiality Policy and the Grievance Procedure to be informed of the student’s rights and responsibilities. To be considered for services, including accommodations, the student needs to submit any requested medical documentation and participate in the interactive process to determine an appropriate and reasonable accommodation, if one is necessary. Requests and documentation are to be submitted sufficiently in advance to permit an assessment and determination about accommodations for the start of a class or project. Allow at least 8 weeks to have an accommodation request decided.
The student agrees that by signing and submitting the Disability Identification Form, Release, and related materials, they are affirming that the information they have provided is complete and accurate, and that they have read and understand the information being provided by O.A.S.D.S. about the Juilliard policies and procedures.
Prospective students are welcome to meet with the Director of Disability Services at any point during their college-selection process to receive information about services provided by the office, discuss the accommodation process or to discuss documentation requirements.
365体育投注网If you are in need of any specific accommodations during your meeting with the Director of Disability Services or while visiting campus, please make your accommodation request at least one week in advance of your appointment by contacting O.A.S.D.S.
Current Juilliard Students
365体育投注网Juilliard will make reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. If you are a student with a disability, you are encouraged to register with O.A.S.D.S. in order to establish eligibility for disability-related accommodations. Please note that this process is confidential. If you do not have documentation or have never been diagnosed, you can still meet with O.A.S.D.S. and discuss your situation.
Dan Stokes365体育投注网 CRC, Director of the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services
(212) 799-5000, ext. 320
Register With Disability Services
How to Register With O.A.S.D.S. as a Student With a Disability
If you think you might benefit from support, we encourage you to register with O.A.S.D.S. by following these steps:
- Contact O.A.S.D.S. ([email protected]) for an appointment. We will meet with you to discuss your specific situation.
- We require two forms in order to determine eligibility for registration: [PDF] and [PDF]. Depending on the nature of your disability, we may require a doctor’s note or other supporting documentation. Please note that we keep your information confidential.
- Once we have received all required documentation from you, we will meet to discuss your accommodation requests. We will then engage in an interactive process with you to determine a personalized accommodation plan.
- If you are receiving academic accommodations, our office will then communicate with your teachers so that they know what accommodations you will receive. Please note that we do not disclose your disability information in our communications with your teachers.
- If you are receiving any other accommodations, we will follow up with the appropriate office(s) on your behalf.
If you do not have documentation or have never been diagnosed, you can still meet with O.A.S.D.S. and discuss your situation.
365体育投注网Registration is a voluntary process and may occur at any time during the student’s course of study. However, it is recommended that requests are made with enough time to be reasonably implemented. Accommodations will be implemented after approval by O.A.S.D.S. and are not retroactive to the beginning of the semester.
Students who wish to document a disability may include, but are not limited to:
- Students entering Juilliard for the first time or returning after a leave of absence who have a known disability;
- Students experiencing educational difficulty who are referred by a faculty member or Juilliard official for consultation regarding the possibility of disability; and
- Students whose health and/or physical abilities are altered during their educational tenure, resulting in a disability (permanent or temporary).
365体育投注网New Juilliard students: We strongly encourage you to contact us before the beginning of the semester in order for your accommodations to be in place when the semester starts.
O.A.S.D.S. Forms and Policies
The Juilliard School complies with all federal A.D.A. regulations. For more information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.), please visit .
Information for Faculty
O.A.S.D.S strives to be a resource for all Juilliard faculty members to help ensure an accessible, equitable learning environment for our students. If you have any questions regarding the disability certification process, how to notify students of our services, how to best provide an accommodation for a student with a disability, or how to design more accessible courses by incorporating universal design principles, please visit our Information for Faculty365体育投注网 page, or contact O.A.S.D.S. directly.
Important Items for Juilliard Faculty to Note
- O.A.S.D.S understands that not all accommodations will be applicable to all course contents. If you have specific questions about how to accommodate a student in the context of your course, please contact O.A.S.D.S staff so we can work together to find the most applicable accommodation(s).
- O.A.S.D.S staff are not able to disclose the type of disability that the student has registered for without written permission from the student due to privacy laws. However, we can discuss the student’s accommodations and work together to help you figure out how to implement their accommodations in your classroom.
- Students are required to self-identify for accommodations and must first register with O.A.S.D.S in order to set up formal accommodations. Faculty are NOT required to provide any accommodations to a student until the faculty member has received a Reasonable Accommodation Plan Agreement from O.A.S.D.S, which formally notifies them of the accommodations she or he is eligible for.
- If a student discloses a disability to you, it is imperative that you both inform the student that she or he needs to register with the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services first to seek formal accommodations AND contact O.A.S.D.S to inform them that you have made a referral about a particular student!
- Faculty should NOT ask a student what type of disability she or he has, but should have a conversation about how the accommodations on the student's Reasonable Accommodation Plan Agreement can be applied within the course content.
- Faculty should NOT ever ask a student about their disability or accommodations in front of other students in the course. This can, in essence, "out" the student with a disability to her or his peers and is not appropriate.
The Juilliard School strives for an environment that is accessible for all Juilliard community members and visitors. For accessibility questions, requests, or general support, please contact the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services at [email protected]or (212) 799-5000 x. 213. For general questions about Lincoln Center campus accessibility, please refer to Lincoln Center’s [pdf].
Pick-Up/Drop-Off:365体育投注网 North side of West 65th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.
Accessible Entry:365体育投注网 Street level entrance at 155 West 65th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue. Elevators located on every floor.
Restrooms: Accessible men’s and women’s restrooms are located on all floors.
Water Fountains: Accessible on all floors.
Telephones:365体育投注网 Available on the upper level of the Sharp Theater lobby near the women’s restroom and on the plaza level near Paul Hall, opposite staircase D.
Box Office: Tickets can be purchased online at any time from our Calendar of Events. You may purchase tickets in person at the Juilliard Box Office (155 W. 65th Street; Mon.-Fri., 11am-6pm) and Alice Tully Hall Box Office (1941 Broadway, at 65th Street; Mon.-Sat., 10am-6pm; Sun., noon-6pm) at any point during the fall season.
Accessible Seating: All venues have accessible seating locations. Specify your requests when purchasing to ensure accommodations.
Braille and Large Print Programs: Available at all on-campus performances. See an usher for assistance.
Assistive Listening Devices: Assistive listening devices (headsets and neck loops) available in the Stephanie P. McClelland Drama Theater and The Peter Jay Sharp Theater. See House Manager in theater lobby. A valid photo I.D. is needed to ensure return.
Campus Housing (Meredith Willson Residence Hall): For housing-related accessibility questions and/or accommodation requests, please contact the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services.
The Juilliard School is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and continue to implement new technology that provides all users with a rich experience and equal access to content.
365体育投注网The Juilliard School website supports the current and prior major releases of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari on computers. On mobile devices, you can access the website using Safari, Chrome, or native ICS Android browser.
Websites often have text that is difficult to read, controls that are difficult to click, or audio and videos that are difficult to hear. Fortunately, your computer can be customized to improve your web browsing experience. Please check out and for more accessibility topics.
508 compliance means that all users, regardless of disability status, can access technology. It’s a way to break down barriers and provide new opportunities for all Internet users.
365体育投注网Compliance standards are set by Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 that requires federal agencies to provide software and website accessibility to people with disabilities. When websites are 508 Compliant, they are accessible to all users. This can mean that they are compatible with assistive technology, such as screen readers.
The Juilliard School is in the midst of a comprehensive accessibility review. One of the goals of this project is to make the new site natively compliant with WCAG 2.0 and ADA Section 508.
Have suggestions or notice any accessibility issues?
Help us out! Please let us know by submitting our Web Accessibility Form.